Thursday, December 8, 2011

journey's end.

No, I'm not coming home yet, but that day is surely coming! I'm flying back to Chicago on December 20th and I couldn't be more excited. I miss home terribly and cannot wait to eat some awesome Chicago food.

And before you ask, "But Kelly, won't you miss Ireland?" I will say this: I will definitely miss all of my friends, the vast majority of people I've met, the ridiculousness of my flatmates, the general friendliness I encounter on a daily basis, and the beer. I won't miss the rainy icky weather, walking everywhere, the crazy colloquial terms, or grocery shopping. (It's different here. Trust me on this one.) One thing I definitely won't miss is school.

Because I never have another class ever again.

At 11am today, I ended my last class of my undergraduate career. Of course, I still have a paper due, but it's half-written and I feel pretty confident about it. Should be great. I'm absolutely thrilled to be finished with school entirely. I don't have plans to attend graduate school and get a MA or MFA or whatever, so this is it.

Crazy, right? It's strange to think that I've been in school for 17 years, from preschool all the way through college. I completed two Bachelors degrees from the University of Iowa in 3.5 years: a B.A. in Theatre Arts and a B.A. in Gender, Women's, & Sexuality Studies. It's weird to be so close to honestly closing this chapter in my life, but I'm so incredibly ready for it. I feel that being in school for so long has closed me off to the real world. The only heartbreak I've ever really experienced was when I got bad grades on things. I want a challenge. I've been playing the school game so long that it's boring. I know my working habits and I know how to procrastinate like a champ.

So bring it on, Life. Can't wait for the problems you're gonna throw at me.

But before that, I'm gonna take a swing through Eastern Europe. Be right back.

No comments:

Post a Comment